Friday, February 10, 2006
Why I Don't Heart Feb. 14th



I've always disliked Valentine's Day. I don't need a holiday or a reason to tell someone that I love them. If you love someone you should tell them whenever you damn well please, not when Hallmark tells you too.

But now I truly hate Feb. 14th -- five years ago on that day I was woken by my phone ringing early early in the morning -- you know it's never good news when the phone rings that early. It was my mom's aide, calling to say my mom had stopped breathing, the ambulance had been called and I should come as soon as possible. I knew that no matter how soon I got there it would be too late. I knew that no matter what measures were taken she was gone. It was a strange feeling, but an almost peaceful one because I knew that her suffering was over. A phone call from my sister a few minutes later confirmed what I already knew.

As Valentine's Day 2001 dawned, I faced the task of burying my mother, three months after burying my father. My heart was permanently broken and no Hallmark card can ever fix that.






2 Comments:
Blogger Queenmatrai had this to say:

I hate Valentines day too!

And I feel your pain.

I'm sorry.

-Noojes

1:20 AM 

Blogger Janet had this to say:

What a sad post and not the traditional reason to hate Valentine's Day at all. No matter what day this appened it would surely carry a scarlet letter for you.:(

I hope you had a good one, all things considered.

8:45 PM 

Post a Comment

main page

It's been all about me since 1963

Name: Lisa Ann
Location:Nowhere
[Blogger Profile]

It's all about me. As it should be.


IT'S TIME (FOR ME) TO GET A LIFE!
Map Yourself

  • Frappr

    Stuff I'm listening to


  • Stuff I'm reading
  • ""Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
    Stuff I hate
  • Stupid stupid people!
    Stuff I like
  • Google News
  • Rosanne Cash
  • Greg Trooper
  • Yahoo Baseball
  • baseball almanac
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Pollstar
  • wfuv
  • tv shows on dvd
  • deadspin


  • Other people's stuff I like
  • jennsylvania
  • underpaidkeptwoman
  • banterist
  • pink lemondade diva
  • amalah
  • les cadeaux
  • nycbloggers
  • the art of getting by
  • all & sundry
  • soulgardening
  • word girl
  • noojes
  • jen garrett
  • this fish
  • where the hell?
  • city crab
  • apt2024
  • tara


    Blogroll Me!

    Other stuff I wrote
  • Give me an F for FRIDAY
  • I Feel Like Shit
  • Painting Update
  • In 56 Days
  • What the Super Bowl Means To Me
  • January 17th
  • Just for Laughs
  • Painting the Town Red, Er, Green? Yellow?
  • I Have Nothing To Say Today
  • Drama Queen Alert!


  • My Past life


    Credits and stuff
    Powered by Blogger


    Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    Find Interesting Blogs In The Blog Directory




    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape