Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Street Survivors

http://www.rockhall.com/

One of my all time favorite bands, Lynyrd Skynyrd*, will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as part of the class of 2006. This is a long overdue honor. Skynyrd set the gold standard not only for southern rock but for rock in general. Two of my least favorite Skynyrd songs are probably the two everyone knows: Sweet Home Alabama & Free Bird (if I leave here tomorrow...). I've always been partial to their lesser known songs and especially the Gimme Back My Bullets album.

While it's widely acknowledged that Gary Rossington & Allen Collins were great guitarists, lead singer Ronnie Van Zant never got a whole lot of attention as a songwriter, yet it was the lyrics that hooked me. Skynyrd's reputation was that of hard-drinking, hard partying wild Southern boys, but alot of their songs were about such weighty topics as gun control (Saturday Night Special), the enviroment (All I Can Do Is Write About It), anti-drug (Needle & The Spoon, That Smell) -- not your typical "redneck" fare. I liked that the songs had a message but not delievered in a preachy way.

I'm glad to see that the Rock Hall is finally acknowledging their contributions.

Simple Man
(gary rossington - ronnie vanzant)

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.
Take your time... don’t live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find a woman and you’ll find love,
And don’t forget son,
There is someone up above.

(chorus)
And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man.
Won’t you do this for me son,
If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich man’s gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

(chorus)

Boy, don’t you worry... you’ll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.



* I am totally referring to the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, not the re-incarnated version.






1 Comments:
Blogger Janet had this to say:

I just read that Black Sabbath is going to be inducted too. Hopefully I'll never live to see the day Britney Spears is inducted.

By the way, I dont know if it's just me, but your link never works when you comment on my site.:(

11:15 PM 

Post a Comment

main page

It's been all about me since 1963

Name: Lisa Ann
Location:Nowhere
[Blogger Profile]

It's all about me. As it should be.


IT'S TIME (FOR ME) TO GET A LIFE!
Map Yourself

  • Frappr

    Stuff I'm listening to


  • Stuff I'm reading
  • ""Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
    Stuff I hate
  • Stupid stupid people!
    Stuff I like
  • Google News
  • Rosanne Cash
  • Greg Trooper
  • Yahoo Baseball
  • baseball almanac
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Pollstar
  • wfuv
  • tv shows on dvd
  • deadspin


  • Other people's stuff I like
  • jennsylvania
  • underpaidkeptwoman
  • banterist
  • pink lemondade diva
  • amalah
  • les cadeaux
  • nycbloggers
  • the art of getting by
  • all & sundry
  • soulgardening
  • word girl
  • noojes
  • jen garrett
  • this fish
  • where the hell?
  • city crab
  • apt2024
  • tara


    Blogroll Me!

    Other stuff I wrote
  • Christmas Music
  • My Fabulous Furry Feline Friends
  • A Thanksgiving Tradition
  • y'all sexy
  • Those Were The Days
  • My Dad
  • My Thoughts on ET & Todd R.
  • Showing Off
  • Poopie Head
  • Who is AL & Why Does He Get An MVP Award?


  • My Past life


    Credits and stuff
    Powered by Blogger


    Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    Find Interesting Blogs In The Blog Directory




    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape